No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS)
WHAT IS NILS?
The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) provides individuals and families on low incomes access to safe, fair, and affordable credit.
Loans for amounts of up to $1500 are available for essential goods and services. Once your NILS application is approved, repayments are set up at an affordable amount for 12 to 18 months. No credit checks are made as this program is based on trust and respect.
What are the loans for?
NILS loans can be used for essential goods and services.
These may include:
- Household items such as furniture, fridges, washing machines, stoves, dryers, freezers, and heaters.
- Medical and Dental Services
- Educational essentials such as laptops, tablets and text books.
- Car repairs and tyres.
DO I QUALIFY FOR NILS?
To qualify you must,
- Have a Health Care Care/Pension Card or be on a low income (take-home income of $45,000 per year for individuals and $60,000 per year for joint applicants).
- Have lived at your current address for more than three months.
- Show a willingness and a capacity to repay.
HOW NILS WORKS IN YOUR COMMUNITY?
With affordable repayments and a respectful assessment process, NILS works through a process of circular community credit. When a borrower makes a repayment to NILS, funds are then available to someone else in the community.
NILS loans are available through local community organisations across Australia, supported by Good Shepherd Microfinance.
Contact our office on 1800 353 199 for more information.